POSITION: Part-time Library Assistant or Student Assistant
LOCATION: Carnegie Library, 19 hours per week
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Reports to branch manager or designee. Performs clerical duties in public and support services and special projects as assigned; does related work as required. These jobs include both work of a routine, repetitive nature for which there are clearly prescribed procedures and new situations and problems for which no precedents have been set. Branch or services managers or assistant managers are usually available for consultation, but on occasion certain people in this class are in charge in their absence. Persons in this class may also have charge of special programs or projects. Must be available to work evenings and every other Saturday.
– Checks out or otherwise disseminates or delivers and checks in or otherwise receives books and other materials using an automated integrated system;
– Registers borrowers;
– Monitors Internet stations when in use;
– Keeps statistics;
– Handles clerical duties such as those relating to filing, shelving, and inventory;
– Processes reserve requests;
– Processes interlibrary loan transactions;
– Gives information, reference service and readers’ advisory service to the public in person and over the telephone
– Processes library materials;
– Types labels and covers books;
– Assists in the operation and maintenance of audiovisual materials and equipment;
– Assists with programming;
– Obtains materials for users from non-public locations;
– Performs elementary descriptive cataloging and other routine duties in support services;
– Has charge of special project(s), service(s) or collections(s);
– Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A basic understanding of library objectives, functions, procedures, and techniques; the ability to learn and retain procedures related to the operation of an automated integrated system; an ability to think analytically, to plan and to organize; an ability to supervise others; an ability to understand and carry out complex directions; an ability to establish and maintain effective and efficient relationships with library staff at several levels; an ability to deal with the public and other staff members in a consistently tactful and courteous manner; an ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment; an ability to handle clerical functions with a high degree of accuracy; good communication skills; for jobs requiring deliveries a valid Missouri driver’s license; and the ability to work evenings and weekends.
ACCEPTABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of high school or equivalent; enrollment in college; one year of library experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Applications are available at facilities of the St. Joseph Public Library. Please indicate on the application that you want to apply for this position, indicating the number of hours you are available, and either have library staff deliver your application to the Carnegie Library, 316 Massachusetts Street, St. Joseph, MO 64504 or bring it in or mail it yourself. Thank you.