John Curd (18?? – 186?) Born in Goochland County, VA, John Curd was the fourth of ten children of Dr. Isaac and Jane Watkins Curd. He and his family moved to Fulton, MO, where he became a merchant. By 1843 he and his brother, Isaac, became pioneer businessmen when they opened a dry goods store in St. Joseph, MO on the corner of Levee and Jules Streets. Curd was a charter member of the DeWitt Lodge, U. D., A. F. and A. M., of St. Joseph on October 16, 1845. The lodge later was changed to the St. Joseph Lodge, No. 78. He belonged to the Democratic Party and for most of the years between 1846 and 1862 John Curd was the St. Joseph City Treasurer. Curd was one of the signers of the contract for the Central Overland California & Pikes Peak Express Company. He was also one of the original directors of the first railroad built west of the Mississippi River, the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. It is not know when John Curd passed away, but it was sometime during the beginning of the Civil War. Boder, B. (1956, Winter). The Lozo Collection. Museum Graphic, 8(1), 13. History of Buchanan County, Missouri: A history of the county, its cities, towns, etc. (1881). St. Joseph, MO: St. Joseph Steam Printing. Logan, S. A. (1979). Old Saint Jo: Gateway to the West, 1799-1932. St. Joseph, MO: Platte Purchase Publishers. Portrait and biographical record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. (1893). Chicago: Chapman Brothers. Williams, W. (1915). A history of northwest Missouri. Chicago: Lewis Publishing.
The Lozo-Needles Photo Album collection contains photographs of prominent citizens from St. Joseph, Missouri during the late 1800's. Alexander Lozo had a photography studio during the years 1871 to 1889 at various locations in the Downtown area. Lozo passed away on April 23, 1917 in Chicago, Illinois. John T. Needles had a photography studio during the years 1874 to 1882 at various locations in the Downtown area. Needles passed away in 1891 in Colorado.