How to get E-Books and Audio books for your IPad/IPhone/IPod Touch
Your 14-digit library card number will be needed to check out the library’s digital materials. You will also need the free Overdrive app loaded on your device.
How to install the Overdrive App
1. From your device, go to the App Store
2. Click “Search” and type in “Overdrive”
3. Click on “Overdrive Media Console” in the results list. Click on the “Free” button, then “Install’ button found on the app’s information screen.
4. You will be asked to enter your Apple ID password. After you supply that information, hit “OK” and the app will be installed.
How to authorize your Device with an Adobe ID
In order to use the Overdrive Media Console app, you must be registered at Adobe using an Adobe ID. Either after installation of the app or the first time you go to download a book, you will be prompted to authorize your device.
1. When the prompt “you must first authorize this application with your Adobe ID” displays on screen, click the “Register at Adobe.com” button. This will take you to a sign-in page on the Adobe website.
2. Click the yellow “Create an Adobe Account” button and fill in the required information on the form. Write down the account number and password so you don’t forget it. Click the “Continue” button. If the form was filled out successfully, a “Thank you” screen will pop up.
3. Return to your Overdrive app and click the “Get Books” button in the upper right of the screen; then click the “Settings” at the bottom of the screen. Click the “Authorize” button under “Adobe Authorization” and enter the Adobe ID number and password you just wrote down – you will only be asked to do this once. However, if you want to download materials to a different device, you will be asked again for the Adobe ID.
How to Download your E-books or Audiobooks
1. On your device, open the Overdrive app. The first screen is your Bookshelf and it will list any e-books or audio books you have checked out.
2. To find a book, click the “Get Books” button in the upper right.
3. Click “Add a Library” dropdown menu and choose St. Joseph Public Library. Click “Done” and type in your 14-digit library card number without spaces.
4. Search for an e-book or audiobook. You may click in the “only show titles with available copies” box as many of the titles will be checked out. Or you can search all titles and put on hold what you need.
5. When you find a title available, click the “add to cart” button.
6. Click “Proceed to checkout. Click “Confirm Checkout.”
7. Click in the “Download” button next to the title you have just checked out and it will begin downloading to the bookshelf of the Overdrive app on your device.
8. To read or listen to a book, click on the title.
9. To return a title early, click the + sign next to the title, then click the “return/delete” button. Select “Return then Delete” to remove it from your account.