How to get library e-books for your Nook (B&W,Touch) Kobo, Sony devices and Home Computer
Other Nooks – Color, Tablet, HD and HD Plus – will accept a downloaded Overdrive app from the Nook Store and will not need a USB. See separate instructions.
You will need your 14-digit library card number to check out the library’s digital materials. You will also need a home computer to download free software and a USB cable to connect your device to your home computer.
How to install Adobe Digital Editions App
1. On your home computer, go to the library’s website sjpl.lib.mo.us and click on the Missouri Libraries 2 Go logo
2. On the right of the screen under the Digital Software heading, click on “Adobe Digital Editions.” Then click on “Download Adobe Digital Editions.
3. This will take you to the Adobe website. Scroll down and click on the brown “Launch” button. Follow the installation instructions and prompts.
4. Once the download is complete, the Adobe Digital software will open with a Setup Assistant. Click “Continue” on the Setup Assistant, you will be asked to authorize with an Adobe ID and Password. If you do not have one, click the link “Get an Adobe ID online” to create one. Once you click the link, you will be taken to the Adobe website.
5. Click on the yellow “Create an Adobe Account” button. Fill in all the required fields on the registration form, then click the “Continue” button. Write down your Adobe ID and password. If your account was successfully created, you will be taken to a “Thank You” screen.
6. Go back to your Adobe Digital Editions software, and enter your Adobe ID and password in the authorization screen and click the “Activate” button. If you were successful, you will get another “Thank you” box. Click the “finish” button and your software setup will be complete. You will only need to do this once.
How to Download your E-books
1. On your home computer, go to the library’s website, sjpl.lib.mo.us and click on the Missouri Libraries 2 Go logo.
2. Click on the “Sign-in” tab in the upper right corner of the screen and begin typing in our library name in the window and St. Joseph Public Library will be offered as an option; then type in your 14-digit library card number with no spaces.
3. Search for an e-book title. When you find one that is available , click the “add to cart” button next to the “EPUB” format. (Many titles will be checked out and you must put them on “Hold” if you would like to read them at a later date. You may search for “only show titles with copies available” box just below the search window).
4. Click “Proceed to Checkout.”
5. Click “Confirm Checkout.”
6. Click on the “Download” button next to the title you have just checked out. A box will pop up asking what you want to do with the file; select “Open.” The title will open automatically in Adobe Digital Editions. (Note: if box does not automatically pop up, locate the downloaded file, which will end in “.acsm”, double-click on it and select Adobe Digital Editions as the application to open.)
7. You can either read the book directly on your computer screen or transfer it to an e-reader device.
8. To transfer your e-book to a device, turn on your e-reader and make sure it is awake. Then plug your e-reader into your computer with its USB cable.
9. In Adobe Digital Editions, click on the Library View (the icon of bookshelves in the upper left). Titles that you have downloaded will be listed on the right. Your device should be listed at the bottom of the column on the left. Drag and drop the cover of the title you want to transfer from the right column onto the name of your device in the left column.
10. The title has now been transferred to the device. Before disconnecting your device from the computer, click the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon at the bottom of the screen to remove it safely.
11. If you want to delete a title or return it early, you can do so using the Adobe Digital Editions software.