How to download e-books and audiobooks to Nook Color, Tablet, HD and HD+
The Overdrive mobile app can be downloaded to these devices. Downloading e-books to other Nook devices will still need to be connected by USB to your home computer and the e-book downloaded to the computer then transferred to your device.
How to install Overdrive’s mobile app
1. Before you can install the Overdrive Media Console, you’ll need to register your device and set up a credit card on your account. If you need help with any of that, access the Support Page at Barnes and Noble.
2. From the Nook’s home page, push the “n” button, then tap “Apps.”
3. Tap the “Shop Now” link at the top of the screen.
4. Type “Overdrive” into the search bar, then tap “Search.”
5. Tap “Free” then “Confirm” next to “OMC”
6. OMC should now be installed. Tap your “Apps” screen, then “OMC” to get started.
Authorizing your Nook device with Adobe
Because the Overdrive app is associated with Adobe, either after the installation of your app is complete or the first time you download a book, you will be prompted to authorize your device using an Adobe ID. Here’s how you do that:
1. A prompt will appear on the screen telling you that “you must first authorize this application with your Adobe ID”. Tap the “Get ID” button and you will be taken to the “Create Adobe ID” page on the Adobe website.
2. Fill in all the required fields on the registration form and write down the ID number and password you assign, then tap the “Create” button. If your account was successfully created, you will be taken to a welcome screen.
3. Go back to your Overdrive Media Console App. Tap the “menu” button at the bottom of the screen (three lines inside a circle), then “App Settings.” Enter the Adobe ID and password that you just created in step 2 and tap the Authorize button. (Note: you will only need to do this once.)
Note: If you want to download the same book to another computer or device, be sure to authorize it using the same Adobe ID.
Finding and Downloading E-Books or Audios
1. On your Nook, go to the Overdrive App. The main screen that you see when the app opens is called your Bookshelf. Any e-books or audios that you have checked out will be listed here. (The app comes with a “Welcome to Overdrive” message on your bookshelf. If you want to get rid of it, hit the + next to the title, then Delete.)
2. To find a book, tap the menu button at the bottom of the screen (three little lines in a circle).
3. Hit “Get Books,” then the “Add a Library” button at the bottom of the screen. You can search for a library by name or zip code. Typing 64501 into the search box is the quickest, then hit the “Search” button.
4. Tap “St. Joseph Public Library” in the results list, then tap Missouri Libraries 2 Go (Note: if you tap the star next to “Missouri Libraries 2 Go”, it will remember it for next time). You will be taken to the Missouri Libraries 2 Go website.
5. Tap “Login.” Select St. Joseph Public Library” from the drop down menu. Type in your 14-digit library card number without spaces to login to your account.
6. Search or browse for an e-book title that you want to read or an audiobook that you want to listen to. When you find one that is available, click the “Add to Cart” button next to the listing.
7. Click “Proceed to Checkout”.
8. Click “Confirm Checkout”.
9. Click on the “Download” button next to the title that you have just checked out and it will begin downloading to the bookshelf in your Overdrive app (if you haven’t already authorized your app, you will be asked to do so at this time).
10. To read or listen to the book, tap the title. To get back to your bookshelf if you are in the middle of a book, tap the bottom of the screen to get the menu bars to appear, then the back arrow at the top left of the screen.
11. To remove an item or return it early, tap the + next to the title, then tap the “Return/Delete” button. Select “Return then Delete” to remove it from your account.