How to download a library book to your Kindle Fire
With a Kindle Fire, which is a mobile device, you can download books in Kindle format, and also books in EPUB format and MP3 audio format. Use the EPUB format if the Kindle format says “Kindle devices via USB only.”
You will need an Amazon account and your library card number.
Get e-books directly from Amazon in Kindle format
1. Go to the web on your Kindle Fire and type in our e-book collection address: molib2go.org.
2. Click on the “sign-in” tab in the upper right corner of the screen and begin typing in our library name in the window and St. Joseph Public Library will be offered as an option; then type in your 14-digit library card number with no spaces.
3. Search for an e-book title making sure it is in the Kindle format. Hit the “add to cart” button next to the Kindle format.
4. Click “Proceed to Checkout”. Click “Confirm Checkout.”
5. From the “My Items Out” page, hit the “Get for Kindle” button. This will take you to the Amazon website and ask you for your account information if you are not already logged into Amazon. If Amazon is defaulting to a different account, hit the “Use a Different Account” link on the right side of the screen above the “Get Library Book” button.
6. Make sure the “Deliver to” field is set to your personal Kindle, and then hit the “Get Library Book” prompt.
7. Hit the “Home” icon, then the “Books” tab. If the book has not shown up, hit on the “Settings” icon at the top of the screen and then hit “Sync”.
8. Hit on the book jacket to open the book and begin reading.
9. If you wish to return the book early, go to the Amazon website, access “Manage Your Kindle,” hit the “Actions” button next to the title and then hit “Delete from Library.”
Get e-books or MP3 audio books using Overdrive Media Console
To use this method, you will need an Adobe account. If you do not have one, you’ll need to get one first before you can begin downloading
How to get an Adobe Account
1. Go to https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/. This will take you to the Adobe sign-in page.
2. Hit the yellow “Create an Adobe Account” button and fill out the information form. Hit “Continue.” A “Thank you” screen will pop up if you have done this successfully.
3. Write down your Adobe ID and password as it will be required the first time you check out a book.
How to download the Overdrive Media Console
This app must be downloaded to your Kindle in order to check out books
1. Go to www.overdrive.com/software/omc and choose the Android version of the Overdrive Media Console by selecting the radio button for Android located on the right side of screen.
2. After the page re-loads, scroll down and hit the “Download Overdrive Media Console for Android from Overdrive” which is written in small letters below the large “Android App on Google Play” box. Do not click on the “Google Play” box.
3. If you get a message “For security, your device is set to block installation of applications not in the Android market,” click on your “settings” icon and hit “Device.” The setting “Allow Installation of Applications” needs to be on.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the terms page, and hit “I agree.” The app will then begin downloading.
5. Once the download is complete, it must be opened. Click on the very top line of your Kindle Fire, near the name of the device and to the left of the time display. This will access a list of downloads. Click on the program to finish installing, then open the app.
To download books
1. Hit the “Menu” icon at the bottom of the screen and select “Get Books.”
2. Click the “Add a Library” at the bottom of the screen and select St. Joseph Public Library. Click on the Missouri Libraries 2 Go box.
3. Search for an e-book (Select EPUB format NOT Kindle) format or for audio book, select MP3. Select the required format and hit the “Add to Cart” button.
4. Hit “Proceed to Checkout” then “Confirm Checkout.” If you are not already logged in, you will be asked for your 14-digit library card number. Then hit the “download” button.
5. The first time you use this app, you will be asked to authorize it with your Adobe ID. Hit “Settings” and enter your Adobe ID and password, then hit the “Authorize” button. The download of your selected title will begin automatically.
6. The title will have been added to your Overdrive app main screen. Click the title to open it and begin reading or listening.